Mum’s in Disney movies really don’t get it easy, do they? For the most part, they’re already dead before the movie starts, leaving our heroine (or hero in the case of Finding Nemo!) at the mercy of evil stepmothers, sharks or mystical forces.
Of the official Disney Princesses (currently 12, including Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Pocahontas, Jasmine, Mulan, Rapunzel, Moana, Tiana and Merida) there are only 6 with mothers, and it could be argued that it’s only Merida, Moana and Tiana’s mums who are doing any parenting (Aurora’s mum has perhaps one line of dialogue while Rapunzel’s ‘mum’ is ‘Mother Gothel’ for much of her life).
There are a number of theories as to why mothers in Disney movies suffer an untimely demise, with one theory suggesting Walt blamed himself for his own mother’s death.
However, Don Hahn, producer for ‘Maleficent‘ gave a different explanation, saying that it’s used as a plot device to get the main character to ‘grow up’ before their time, without a mother or parent to guide them. It’s also expensive to design and animate humans which is the reason Andy doesn’t have a dad in Toy Story. There are multiple articles about the role of mothers in Disney movies, including this one from Wiki.
However, while they may not get much screen time, mums play an important role in Disney movies and with it being Mother’s Day, I thought it would be fun to test your knowledge of Disney mums and mother figures. Answers are below and let me know how you get on in the comments below.
Mother’s Day Quiz
- How does Moana’s Grandma Tala describe herself?
- In Mary Poppins, the children’s mother was campaigning for something. What was it?
- Where was Huey, Dewy and Louis’ mum, Della, stuck for 10 years?
- What’s the name of Cinderella’s stepmother?
- Which Princesses still have a mother at the end of the movie (no sneaking a peek above!)?
- What was Nemo’s mum called in ‘Finding Nemo’?
- What’s Helen Parr’s alter ego called in ‘The Incredibles’ and what’s her special skill?
- What does Nani let Lilo adopt?
- What does Andy’s mum, Jennifer, give him for his birthday?
- Can you name Tiana’s mum?
Answers (no peeking)
- Grandma Tala describes herself as ‘the village crazy lady’.
- Winifred Banks is a Suffragette, campaigning for votes for women. This article from Stylist details a little more about the character of Mrs Banks.
- The moon, where she made friends with Penumbra.
- Lady Tremaine.
- Rapunzel, Tiana, Aurora, Mulan, Merida and Moana’s mums are still around by the closing credits.
- Coral. She’s only onscreen for a few moments, but makes the ultimate sacrifice.
- Elastigirl. Her body can stretch.
- A dog aka Stitch.
- Buzz Lightyear.
How did you get on? Let me know in the comments below!
Hope you all have a lovely Mother’s Day and spoil the women in your life. If you need any last-minute presents, be sure to check out my Shop. From Mouse ears, to character key rings and small bags to carry those essentials, I’ve got you covered. Can’t see what you’re looking for? Send me a message and I can help! I’m always up for a new challenge.